Get a Library Card

Library cards are free to:

  • All people who live, work, pay taxes or attend school in Whitby.
  • All residents of Durham Region.
  • Non-residents who attend UOIT, Trent University (Oshawa Campus), or Durham College receive free yearly membership with proof of school I.D. and a home address.
  • Non-residents living outside Durham Region may purchase a membership for $40.00 per year.
  • Temporary cards are issued to those living in Whitby on a short term basis for a refundable $10.00 deposit (two items per check-out)

You can get a Library Card in two easy steps:

1.  Fill out an application form:  Go in person to any Whitby Public Library location, or apply online by completing the Borrower Self-Registration Form.  If you apply online, you must have your membership validated in person at any of our 3 branches.  Applications made for children 13 years and younger must be signed by their parent or legal guardian who can verify the child's address, sign the library card, and take responsibility for any activity on that card.

2.  Present the required identification:  Show your current Ontario driver’s license or Ontario Photo Card, or present two pieces of identification, one with your current address on it.  Please see the list below for examples of acceptable forms of identification if you do not have photo ID.
The initial card is free.  The cost to replace a lost card is $2.00.  Protect your library card as you would your credit cards.  Lost or stolen cards must be reported immediately.  Anything taken out on your card is your responsibility until the card is reported missing.

If you move, change your telephone number, or change your email address, please notify us so that we can update our records.


Acceptable Identification

Acceptable forms of identification may include but are not limited to:

  • Utility bill
  • Tax bill
  • Birth certificate
  • Credit card
  • Current mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Any benefit statement issued by the Government of Canada
  • Insurance policy
  • School report card or transcript